Towing a Centaur

Moderator: philipstevens

Towing a Centaur

Postby Swanrad » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi

I am moving my Centaur home for refitting (extensive) before moving onwards to the lakes- one of the issues is the engine so transporting by land. I am considering buying a car transporter and towing with something like a range rover. Any suggestions ref the trailer (type, capacity, axles etc, etc) as this suggestion seems to make some sense.

Cheers

Tony
Swanrad

Re: Towing a Centaur

Postby SeaJay » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Before getting Mudlark, a Griffin Mk1.5, I owned an Anderson 22 which I kept on a four-wheeled braked trailer at home. The all-up mass of boat and trailer was about 1.8 tonnes, with the trailer itself weighing just under 0.5 tonne. The maximum towing weight for my Nissan Xtrail was 2 tonne with a 150kg nose weight. The biggest concern that I have will be the weight of your boat and trailer which I suspect could exceed 3.5 tonnes. I can't remember the rules, but i seem to recall anything over 3.5 tonnes needing power operated braking i.e. like a truck. Also, as a guide for a driver new to towing many experts suggest a maximum trailer mass of 85% of the kerb mass of the towing vehicle.

So I think before selecting the trailer, I would check the likely total gross mass of the trailer (i.e. weight of trailer and boat combined), whether you have/ can get a vehicle capable of pulling it and whether your license allows you to tow this.

Other than this, easy!

Chris
SeaJay

Postby aquaplane » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm

In the UK, up to 3.5Te you can use a 50mm ball hitch and over run brakes. Over that you need a ring/pin hitch and brakes that work when the pedal is pressed like on a lorry as stated above.
Landrovers are rated to 3.5Te but can be modified (the brakes) to go to 4Te I found out recently.
Folk do have trailers for Centaurs, and at least one trailer company says they do a trailer for a Centaur.
The WOA site quotes the weight of a Centaur as 3Te.
Folks have said that the crane driver weighed their boat and it was more like 4Te with gear aboard. And then you need a substantial trailer.
I don't think you can tow a Centaur legaly, but folk do it, I know someone who does, I wouldn't.

If you aren't in the UK, a Range Rover will do it. Not many cars weigh 4Te so I don't know if you will get a car transporter to take the weight or the length.

Other than this it's easy.
Bob.
Centaur 2391 at Tayvallich.

Copland Harrier at Waterhead, Windermere.
aquaplane

Postby Swanrad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Cheers, the old salt who said we could looked a little over-confident in my opinion!

Low loader and second mortgage it is then.

Tony
Swanrad

Postby aquaplane » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 am

The low loader is the most cost effective bit of the opperation, especially for a short trip.

I'm taking my Centaur off Windermere to Scotland. The lifts each end are going to be £250, the road transport for the 60 miles to Whitehaven will be about £300.
The transport came to be the same price as the lifts if I had the boat moved to one of the Clyde marinas.
Bob.

aquaplane

Postby simonk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am

Or if you have a local transport company with a hiab. They can load & un-load without the need of a crane at either end & with bilge keels it'll sit on the flat bed.
Regards

Simon

Mistral
GK24
simonk

Postby sakean99 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Is that right? 4T on a Hiab, plus the necessary reach? I've no idea, but it sounds impressive to me given the size of cranes normally used at boat lifts.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/
sakean99

Postby aquaplane » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 am

sakean99 wrote:Is that right? 4T on a Hiab, plus the necessary reach? I've no idea, but it sounds impressive to me given the size of cranes normally used at boat lifts.

I thought that too.
I looked at renting a lorry with Hiab and one to fit a Centaur with a big enough lift would be above the 7.5Te that I can drive.
A lorry driving mate said it was a complicated job getting someone to drive the Hiab too, he could drive a bigger lorry than me.
Of course if you are paying a haulier they provide a suitably qualified man.
Do Hiabs have a long drop facility. Lowering bricks or boats to ground level is fine, what about several feet below ground level over the harbour wall and down to the water?
Bob.

aquaplane

Postby simonk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 am

I wouldn't want to do it myself, these usually come with a qualified driver who are experienced in this game.

Hiab.jpg
Hiab.jpg (134.71 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Regards

Simon

Mistral
GK24
simonk

Postby sakean99 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:01 am

Fairy Nuff, Simon, that's a pretty impressive bit of kit & quite a step up fron the usual "pallet of bricks" HIABs. It might need to be a pretty speciallised hire-co tho, but probably still cheaper than a flatbed Plus a Crane.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/
sakean99

Return to General chat