Pageant outboard options

Moderator: philipstevens

Pageant outboard options

Postby bally_hoo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 pm

I have searched to see if this topic has already been covered, but could not see it.

I would like a back-up outboard for my Pageant, which has an inboard Volvo Penta MD7A (14hp?), as I know naff all about outboards, can someone point me in the right direction as to:

1. Power requirements i.e 10 Hp or will less do?
2. 2 stroke or 4 stroke, (I've always been suspicious of 2 strokes, since that moped I had as a teenager!)
3. Any other considerations?
:?:

Many thanks.

Dave Bally :D
bally_hoo

Re: Pageant outboard options

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Not necessarily a recommendation, more for information.

At slack water I get an indicted 3.2 knots on the GPS when pushing my freshly jet-washed Pageant with a Seagull Model 110 (that's the one with Reverse). I would estimate that one as being about 4 HP

As a second string engine it's fine for a 'get you home'. I have only used it in that mode once after running out of diesel in Poole Harbour in a dead flat calm. My wife will be pleased to confirm that we ran out of fuel for that one, too.

I would recommend two stroke over four stroke every time on grounds of simplicity, power available, and the ability to lay the thing down if required. A four stroke won't need oil in the fuel, of course, and may well be much quieter.
charlesp

Postby bally_hoo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks for the Info :D
bally_hoo

Postby sakean99 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 pm

If you want 2/- it will have to be a used one, all new are now 4/- by EU edict. And make sure it's longshaft!

BTW, outboards on the stern of cruisers are not good in short steep waves such as overfalls or wind over tide conditions, the prop will cavitate & even come clean out of the water sometimes.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/
sakean99

Postby bally_hoo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:07 pm

bally_hoo

Postby bally_hoo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:58 am

Update.

I have now purchased and fitted a long shaft, 2 stroke, Mercury 4 HP "Sailpower" (although that last bit doesn't actually work!) and it seems to push her along reasonably well.

Thanks
bally_hoo

Postby aquaplane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:25 pm

If it's still the same "badge engineered" 2 stroke 4Hp engine as I got 5 years ago you will be able to have it uprated to 5Hp.

Mine was a Tohatsu, but I was told that the Mercury and Mariner were the same engine.
The 4 & 5Hp are the same bore and stroke but there is a restrictor on the 4Hp.
The bloke who sold me the engine took the restrictor out and adjusted the carb for £30. It took about 15 mins.
Bob.
Centaur 2391 at Tayvallich.

Copland Harrier at Waterhead, Windermere.
aquaplane

Return to Engines & transmission