Bukh 20 Volvo/Johnson Cooling Water Pump

Moderator: philipstevens

Bukh 20 Volvo/Johnson Cooling Water Pump

Postby Gordon Patrick » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Earlier this year I was advised by a local Bukh agent that they change the two seals between the pump and the gear box at every annual service. Having never done this since buying our Fulmar in 2001 I decided to follow the advise, despite there being no obvious signs of a problem. All went well until June this year when we arrived in Brittany where I discovered salt deposits on the port side inside the engine compartment. It transpired that the forward seal/shaft assembly was leaking and sea water was, thankfully escaping from one of four holes towards the aft end of the the pump (these holes are frequently blocked and not seen). Discussing this with Bukh I was advised that so long as the sea water is escaping and not getting passed the rear seal then all is not lost. As a precausiton I decided to buy two seals from the Volvo agent in Treguier. The danger is that if salt water gets into the gear box behind the pump it can then get into the engine sump with horrendous consequences. Fortunately I did not have to replace the seals while away and have only just changed them in July. However I still had a very small leak, probably a worn shaft/bearing after 24 years and decided to have the pump refurbished by Bukh, which they did in a couple of days and at a cost which was much less than a new pump(£135 + VAT & P&P). It included the Johnson Service kit, machining the worn surface inside the pump, VAT and p&p etc.

Gordon Patrick
Fulmar SERENE
Gordon Patrick

Postby rhumlady » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Gordon

Are you saying that the price for a refurb was £135 or that was the price of a new pump?

Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady'
rhumlady

Bukh 20 Cooling Water Pump

Postby Gordon Patrick » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi,

The cost of a new pump was about £135 + VAT + p&p. The cost of the overhaul incl VAT + p&p was £90.

Gordon Patrick
Fulmar SERENE
Gordon Patrick

Water pumps on Bukh DV20

Postby hillamfold » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:41 pm

I've had similar problems with the original water pump. The trouble is caused by the drive spindle running in a bush formed in the body of the pump casting. Once the bush wears, no amount of seal changes will stop the leaking. My own response was to replace the original pump with the Johnson model used in the DV24, (much cheaper from ASAP Supplies), which has two internal ball bearings for the spindle to run in. Not only do the bearings and seals last longer, but can both be replaced at modest cost.

Steve Dawson, Fulmar Chelika
hillamfold

Postby rhumlady » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:51 pm

Steve,
Do you have the details of the pump you fitted as I believe I will otherwise have to have mine refurbed.

Derek
rhumlady

Johnson Pumps for Bukh 20 engines

Postby Gordon Patrick » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi,

That reference to ASAP looks very interesting. Had a look at their web site and they seem to keep good stocks of Johnson bits and pieces etc.

Very many thanks

Gordon Patrick
Fulmar SERENE
Gordon Patrick

Postby hillamfold » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:46 pm

The Johnson part number I recorded in my engine manual for future reference was 10-35157-3 Please understand that I cannot warrant this is correct, but it is what I would use if contacted ASAP for another. TW Marine in High Peak (my usual Bukh spares supplier and extremely helpful), can also supply this version of the pump, but the price comparison I remember from early 2006 was about £90 to £135 I had to fettle the base of the casting to get the "C" clamp to fit, but that's nothing unusual.

I had a blade come off the impellor whilst cruising in the Clyde a few weeks ago, but when I checked inside there was no other detectable wear.

Steve, Chelika
hillamfold

Bukh RW Cooling Pumps

Postby Gordon Patrick » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi,

Found I have the Johnson part number(10-35118-1) for the original pump in my Bukh 20 owners handbook. Checked the ASAP web site and found this pump, less the flexible hose that attaches to the engine block and the inlet pipe. As was said the price for a new Johnson pump from ASAP is considerably cheaper than from Bukh agents. When my pump was refurbished they also removed the "groove" inside the body made by the impeller over 24 years of rotation. The Johnson kit of parts was the driver in the price and came out at £60 + VAT. It included a new bush, shaft, cam (inside the pump housing), two seals behind the pump and a new front plate fitted with wing nuts instead of the usual screws. I see that ASAP also sell a similar front cover plate.

The ASAP web site is worth a visit just to see what they offer. However you'd need to add P&P to the cost of the goods, see their terms and conditions. ASAP will be at SIBS from 14th September on stand G008.

Gordon Patrick
Fulmar SERENE
Gordon Patrick

Bukh RW Cooling Pumps

Postby Gordon Patrick » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:37 am

Hi,

Received confirmation that a new replacement pump for a Bukh DV20ME from ASAP would cost £106.79 + VAT + P&P. Cheaper than Bukh but more costly than refurbishment. ASAP don't do a spares kit but they do do the components individualy. David Mack is the poc at ASAP for these items, very helpful.

Gordon Patrick
Fulmar SERENE
Gordon Patrick

Re: Bukh 20 Volvo/Johnson Cooling Water Pump

Postby Chrisbracey » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 am

Bukh 20 Water Pumps.

The original pump was the 10-35118-1 still listed by Jonhson at about £130.

However, the newer pump the 10-35157-3 is the new replacement.

The drawing for both are available from the Johnson web site - the drawing for the `0-35118-1 is marked "replaced by 10-35157-3".

Two bits of good news the new pump has twin ball races to support the shaft and the listed price is £78.

So if your pump has seen better days replace it with the 35-35157-3.

Chris
Chrisbracey

Return to Engines & transmission