Blakes Sea Cocks

Moderator: philipstevens

Blakes Sea Cocks

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Blakes sea cocks - Is the "Blake" grease worth the extra money?

Or has anyone tried using Silicon grease? - far more water resistant than "Water-proof" grease.

I have used ordinary water proof grease on my old boat but the toilet cocks on the Griffin are so hard to get to I was thinking of trying something better. Considering the difficulty in getting to them the cost is not an issue.

Chris Pinar GN400
Chris

Re: Blakes Sea Cocks

Postby Gordon Patrick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Chris,

I used Blakes when we first acquired our Westerly. However on one occasion when she was out of the water I was advised about an alternative. I tried to buy that but found that it has been replaced by Ramanol (I think) and I bought some of that in 2006. It seems to do the job but was about the same price as Blakes. I have a surplus part used pot of Blakes, if you want it send me a private message.

Gordon Patrick
Fulmar SERENE FR180
Gordon Patrick

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 am

Many thanks to Gordon but......

What I was trying to find was what is the "best" stuff to use.

It is so difficult to get access to the "heads" seacocks that I do not want something that needs to be renewed frequently.

I have a choice between "Waterproof Grease", "Blake's grease" or "silicon grease". These are priced at about £5, £15 and £40 for similar quantities.

If anyone has tried silicon grease I would like to hear from them.

Chris Pinar GN400
Chris

Postby GeoffBruty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm

It is essential that you service your Blakes sea cocks at least every two years, preferably annually. I have just done mine and I used the ordinary white waterproof grease, just as I have always done with no problems.

I have just replaced my sink drain gate valve with a ball valve and am considering replacing the heads input valve with one also next season as it is so hard to get at behind the output valve.

Good luck!

Geoff
"Artemis of Hamble" MN148
GeoffBruty

Postby JonECA » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi
When i came across these type of plug valve for the mod, i'm sure i remember ordering Audco grease, a real thick gunky grease.
IF you contact a company like Flowserve, they'd probably find you a more cost effective alternative valve and advise where to get the grease.
Let us know what you find.

By the way, i haven't actually worked out are these toilets ok for number ones and number twos ? I wouldn't want to chance a number 2, so what's the normal protocol when out at sea?
JonECA

Return to Cabin fittings & installations