Regatta 290 bad manners

1340fxd
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Regatta 290 bad manners

Post by 1340fxd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:51 pm

I sailed my newly purchased Regatta 290 today and while being very pleased with her sailing performance, I found her quite bad mannered under engine. At 5 to 6 knots under power the large rudder (taken from the Tempest I understand when the Merlin went sugar scoop) makes her very sensitive to rudder input but the really surprising thing is how quickly she veers off course and quite dramatically so if the helm is let go for only a few seconds. I would welcome owners comments please. :shock:

Nigel Birch

Re: Regatta 290 bad manners

Post by Nigel Birch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Konsort is the same. I make great use of the tiller pilot when single handed.....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am

Ditto my Fulmar. Finger light under sail but very different under engine. Needed a firm hand constantly on the tiller. Also the fitted Autohelm 2000 couldn't cope except in calm seas and even then could veer off unexpectedly (no joy when you are down below making a cup of coffee!) and so I upgraded to EV-1 with more powerful ram as I am usually sailing solo and want to be able to leave the cockpit having confidence she will stay on course. The problem I guess is the prop wash over the rudder and the local high forces. The best solution - just sail!
Derek
Thalmia, Fulmar FR25 - The Exe

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 pm

The Griffon is similiar, she has been known to start off circling under power and autohelm whilst I am putting the kettle on, I now reduce power whilst I nip below.
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm

My Centaur Moonshine used to veer off quickly under power and in reverse was subject to the worst prop walk I have ever experienced. I fitted a feathering prop from Darglow Engineering and now she will meekly follow the tiller when going astern. She also veers off less quickly going ahead.

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:22 pm

We don't have any trouble with our elderly Konsort under power. One of the things I love about her is her sensitivity and responsiveness to tiller movements - she handles almost like a dinghy. Frequently use autohelm with no problems.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Propwalk when going astern can be very useful, Hillary. I was once on board a 72' wooden ketch http://saltyjobs.co/saltyships/faramir-1982/ in which the skipper used just propwalk to turn her through 180 degrees into a tight berth. Very impressive.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

I agree moderate Propwalk is useful and I have seen skilful Skippers use it with aplomb - however for less skilful folk like me its much nicer to be able to reverse and just steer where you want to go with the tiller which is what I can do with the new prop.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

:)
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 pm

The feel of the rudder under sail is important, so to keep it light there is 15% of the area in front of the rudder post, making it a balanced rudder. Unfortunately the balanced rudder under power has non linear water passing over it. The prop wash can touch the balancing portion of the rudder and force the rudder to turn, made worse the faster the boat is traveling. Coping with this is part of the skill of boat handling, easing the speed back will certainly help.

Reversing has also been mentioned. My technique is to position the boat in the direction you want to take. Then reverse hard for several seconds to get boat moving backwards with the helm central. Knock the throttle off, either into neutral or tick over, and then start steering the transom where you need to go. Keep an eye on where the bow is traveling, not to scrape another boat or the pontoon finger.

My final advice is practice makes perfect, so take a day and just keep practicing until you get the feel of how to do it right every time.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/