Fuel tank sight tube, Storm

jf108@cam.ac.uk
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Fuel tank sight tube, Storm

Post by jf108@cam.ac.uk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 pm

The fuel level on my Storm is seen using a sight tube on the forward side of the fuel tank.
It is a simple and reliable method, but the tube is now rather brown and you need to put a torch behind it to see the fuel level.
The tubing looks like PVC- or something similar of around 6mm internal diameter. It is attached to the fuel tank with what look like small compression fittings.
Does anyone have experience of changing this tubing?
Where can one get the right size and type?
Do the compression fittings need changing- and if so where can one get them?
Many thanks,
James Fawcett- Evening Storm

FulmarOnia
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Fuel tank sight tube, Storm

Post by FulmarOnia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:18 am

I think you will find that plastic sight tubes for fuel tanks are frowned upon by surveyors - after all in a fire they may melt !. I'm not familiar with the Storm, but do you need a sight tube, would a dipstick do?

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:13 pm

...or a toughened glass tube, but I agree, it must be fire-resistant.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Centaur 1361 at Southampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:52 pm

James

Are you sure you are looking at the fuel tank. On my Fulmar, the water tank is in front of the fuel tank, both are mounted under the cockpit sole. The water tank is in stainless with a sight tube with a red float on the forward end, but the filler is mounted on the narrow stern deck. The fuel tank is mild steel painted with red oxide and measured with a dip stick, with the filler in the cockpit sole. Knowing how Westerly used similar techniques across their boats, I would be surprised if your Storm was similar in tankage as my Fulmar.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

CorporalJ

Post by CorporalJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am

I have fitted a fuel tank sight gauge to my tank in my Tempest. Google 'fuel tank sight gauge' and you'll see loads on the market. Basically it's an in line fitting with a button you push that allows the fuel to go up the tube. Release the button and the valve locks off. The risk is that there is a small amount of fuel in the tube in the event of fire as opposed to the old tube that had no way of stopping fuel from escaping once breached. When fitting the gauge the old fittings need to be blocked. Oh I also have an automatic fire extinguisher in the engine bay.