MD11C Thermostat housing seals

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

MD11C Thermostat housing seals

Post by UserError » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 pm

The manual states these must be replaced if the thermostat/housing is removed.
Just putting together an order from ASAP Supplies & they are on back order.
Keyparts list one of the o rings that I think are needed, at 40p but with £4 postage.

Has anyone replaced their seals from any other source?

Is it a given that they must be replaced on opening the thermostat housing?
Thanks
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Fulmar433

Re: MD11C Thermostat housing seals

Post by Fulmar433 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

I haven't any experience of removing the thermostat housing, but was considering checking mine last autumn when I suspected my engine may have been overheating. Doing a bit of research I found various comments that once disturbed an old o ring is very unlikely to reseal. As it turned out, it wasn't overheating, it was a fuel pump issue. I guess they go hard with age and don't take up the shape of the gap as a new one will. I would imagine if you can find out the size there is a good chance of finding a non Volvo part that will fit. I have a box of o rings from Lidls with numerous sizes. I suspect the correct size would probably be in there.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

The box of O-rings from Lidl were on sale from last Sunday - so if you are quick they may still have some stock. Worth keeping onboard for emergencies.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 am

I find smearing the old ring with some silicon sealer and a bead of silicon in the groove works well, this takes up the slight wear that occurs in the ring groove and the mating surface.

I use a bath sealer type rather than the marine type because it comes apart easier.
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

Willhc

Post by Willhc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 am

Without wanting to suggest the obvious, how about your friendly Volvo Penta dealership...

Part number from the Volvo parts catalogue. (The following may help, even if the dealer is not your local one). For less than the price of a coffee, probably worth it for a good seal.

https://www.volvopentashop.com/GoldenAr ... 742230_032

UserError

Post by UserError » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Willhc,
Thanks - when I clicked on the link I saw the same diagrams as Marine parts Europe, who want £1.63 for the same part (I found this since my first post) Golden Arrow want 49p for it! Definitely a good site. I've looked at so many sites now, I've lost track of what I've seen where...

Now that I'm finding my way around and have the VP part no,I have also emailed ASAP supplies as I was putting together an order from them and was trying to minimise postage costs (Golden Arrow would be 4.80 for a 49p O ring ....) but if needs must then I will and from the others' responses, I think the chances of it resealing are hit & miss.

Brightstar - Thanks, a handy tip to file away.

JollyRoger & Fulmar - I'll have a look, I've always wanted a box of O rings (sad, but true) and I wasn't sure what profile it had i.e. round like an O ring, or rectangular or some special shape.

If ASAP don't have it, I'll just have to stump up as I've only got two weeks to get this sorted and the boat isn't near to go and take measurements etc.
Thanks for your help.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Willhc

Post by Willhc » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am

If AsAP doesn’t work, go to your local Volvo parts dealer and negotiate - if Golden Arrow can do it for that price, your local one should too... good luck.