The Wild West

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

The Wild West

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

Greetings to all out there in Westerly-land.

I am proposing to take my Centaur, Tyro, westwards from the Solent this summer, with the objective of getting as far as St Michael's Mount in west Cornwall. I'm planning to leave the Solent (probably from Ryde) on or around 18th June and intend to visit as many harbours, creeks and anchorages as I can on the way, including some ditch-crawling up the Tamar and the Fal. I'd also like to see if I can find the Lost Gardens of Heligan and visit the Eden Project. I have a crew for the first leg, probably as far as Weymouth, but I'd be more than happy to have someone on board for the others.

Return will be at the end of July (I hope) in longer hops, taking a week or so. I have one crew booked in, but for this section I could have a second if anyone's interested (which would allow us to do longer, overnight, passages).

If anyone is interested, in a leg or even a day, please do get in touch, either here or via PM. It would also be interesting to meet other WOA members along the way, especially Centaurians.
Last edited by TyroSailor on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

dj7613
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: The Wild West

Post by dj7613 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Check out the WOA Summer cruise....you may meet it.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am

Looks like they're going to be further west than I shall be at that time. Or alternatively, I shan't be getting that far west till it's over. Good idea though.

I now have crew for the first leg (Southampton to Ryde, then (later) Ryde to Weymouth via Newtown, Lymington, Poole and possibly Wareham) and the last (from Falmouth, Helford or conceivably Newlyn all the way back to Southampton with few stops) but the others are still available, and a second place on the long return trip is still open. Some legs will be largely up and down rivers (Exe, Dart, Tamar and Fal) and so are suitable for those of a nervous disposition, or the terminally seasick.

If you want the latest edition of the full proposed itinerary, PM or email me.
Last edited by TyroSailor on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 am

TyroSailor wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am
so are suitable for those of a nervous disposition, or the terminally seasick.
Not mutually exlusive! Have a look up the Exe. Turf Lock, Topsham and lympstone all charming...
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Ah yes - that is indeed my intention. That list wasn't intended to be exhaustive, but I've added the Exe. Where's a good (i.e. cheap, or preferably free) place to moor alongside in the Exe? I intend to anchor or pick up buoys in most places most nights but a night alongside will be required at times.

Do you know the Axe? I met a nice bloke from there in Falmouth several years ago and he recommended Axmouth to me, but I haven't been there yet. The Pilot has limited information and the almanac less.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Never been in or out of the Axe, but seen it from the beach. It strikes me as one of those places where local knowledge is almost essential. From what I remember it was quite a narrow twisting entrance with a very steep sided shingle spit. Once inside the club marina seemed very well run.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks, David.
That's more or less what Tom Cunliffe says in the Channel Pilot, but I was wondering if Nigel - or someone else - might afford me some of that invaluable local knowledge. I shall make certain of doing it an hour or so before high water.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:36 pm

TyroSailor wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 pm
Thanks, David.
That's more or less what Tom Cunliffe says in the Channel Pilot, but I was wondering if Nigel - or someone else - might afford me some of that invaluable local knowledge. I shall make certain of doing it an hour or so before high water.
I met Gerry Ware on the channel crossing a couple of years ago an affable fellow I'm sure he'd put you in the picture...his details are in yearbook
Nigel

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 pm

TyroSailor wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 pm
Ah yes - that is indeed my intention. That list wasn't intended to be exhaustive, but I've added the Exe. Where's a good (i.e. cheap, or preferably free) place to moor alongside in the Exe? I intend to anchor or pick up buoys in most places most nights but a night alongside will be required at times.
We don't have too much in the way of alongside in the exe. Locking into the canal for a couple of nights night be an option. It might also be possible to dry out against the harbour wall at Lympstone although I've never tried it. Lympstone Sailing club would know.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... river-exe/
Nigel

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks for that Nigel. I'll follow it up idc. Just read the information on your link. Looks like Topsham is the place to be. Is it Tops'am or Top-sham?

If/when I do make it to the Exe, are you likely to be around? We should have a drink.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:35 pm

TyroSailor wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:08 pm
Thanks for that Nigel. I'll follow it up idc. Just read the information on your link. Looks like Topsham is the place to be. Is it Tops'am or Top-sham?

If/when I do make it to the Exe, are you likely to be around? We should have a drink.
People born there call it Tops'am but if you weren't protocol dictates Top-sham. It's a sweet little town with proper butcher, greengrocers and even a cheese shop. The bridge inn is the place to meet for a beer and apparently the only boozer the queen has visited. And if you're there for a Sunday night well worth looking in on the Topsham Folk club in the malthouse behind the Globe inn. Give me a ring/text when you're in the vicinity always keen on a beer.
Nigel

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Right. That's a definite target then. I'll try and arrange to be there on a Sunday, and go and have a sing in the Globe. :)

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Just to add to Nigel's post, I don't think there was mention of the small Marina at Topsham run by Trouts. a call ahead is advisable but there will usually be a pontoon berth if you wanted it with toilet and water/power. Dries out onto mud. There is a Quay also which will be less expensive but with potentially big tides there is quite some height from mud to quay! Teignmouth has some visitors pontoons also but without facilities and you need a tender to get ashore. Friends who have boats in the Axe would warn you to be very wary of the entrance - sounds as if all of them have been aground at the entrance at some stage while learning the time critical and difficult approach. Lyme Regis is worth a visit and anchoring/mooring options have improved a lot recently.
Derek
Thalmia, Fulmar FR25 - The Exe

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Thank you, Derek. Those points noted.

Lyme Regis (didn't he used to play football?) is certainly on my list, possibly just for a lunch stop, and if I attempt the Axe it will be in gentle conditions with a rising tide. And they do say, if you don't run aground sometimes, you're not trying hard enough (although I suspect it could be less trivial on the iron-bound coast of Devon and Cornwall than in the soft and forgiving mud of the Solent...).

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Patrick Farrell
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: The Wild West River Axe

Post by Patrick Farrell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am

Having sailed out of the Axe for 20+ years its not for the faint hearted. The entrance is a very narrow 20-30 foot wide horror, on one side is the harbour wall & a shingle bank on the other . Locals are normally back in no later than 30 minutes after local HW, because the tide runs out like a train (4-5 knots) on springs.
As a visitor I would suggest entering at local HW
Once inside its safe there are very limited visitor moorings one or two on the pontoon ends. It dries completely.
The town of Seaton is pretty dire in terms of good pubs The club is very friendly & helpful.
A better bet in safe conditions is to anchor a few miles down the coast in Beer, totally safe in NE round to just west of SW.
The village of Beer is great good pubs ,nice eateries.